As soon as the weather starts to heat up, people start to look for ways to try and stay cool. Air conditioners can be a good solution for you and your family in this case, but the shopping process can be a little overwhelming as there are different types and models in the market.Besides that, all the features, sizes, installation processes and more, it can be tricky deciding on what the best AC system is to fit your needs.
Here are some helpful tips on what to look for when shopping for air conditioning:
Thoroughly Research Manufacturers
There are a big number of brands in the market but we only recommend the most reliable units. However, the manufacturer or brand is only one part of high performance and reliable air conditioning unit. It’s crucial that the air conditioning system is long-lasting, reliable and is set-up to reduce your energy bills.
Check some of the factors you should take into consideration to help to determine the best brand for you:
- Reliability – look for customer reviews on websites.
- Cost – find out about the brand’s prices. Is it too expensive? Do you get a better deal from this particular brand overall than from others? Are there any current rebates?
- Energy Efficient – confirm that you are purchasing a high-quality brand that has a good SEER rating or is energy star approved. This will help keep your future bills lower and cooling capacity higher.
- Customer Service – learn about the brand’s warranty services. It’s always helpful to know how the company deals in case you have issues.
- Features – compare the different features from the AC unit you are looking for with various brands to make sure you are getting everything you are looking for, such as 0energy efficiency, lifetime, remote control, and more.
Consider Your Home Energy Efficiency
Air conditioning should be synonymous with efficiency. Always. The cost of having this type of equipment at your house is very expensive, so you want to choose an air conditioner that converts the energy into cooling in a very cost-effective way.
Do you know what a SEER ratio is? It’s an efficiency rating. The higher the rating, the more efficient it is and the less energy it consumes while in use. The minimum ratio is 13 and the maximum 21, and all central air conditioning systems are expected the minimum ratio.
You should also be looking for a unit with some of the features below:
Large coils for more efficient heat transfer
A high-temperature rating (EER) greater than 11.6 and a thermal expansion valve. When the weather is hottest, this translates to high-efficiency operation.
A variable-speed blower to reduce electricity consumption, tailoring the usage to the need
A fan-only switch. This allows you to turn off the cooling but leave the fan running to circulate air for more natural, affordable cooling.
An automatic delay fan switch, which keeps the fan on long enough to utilize residual cool air that remains after the compressor turns offA filter indicator light that lets you know when the filter needs changing. This boosts efficiency by ensuring proper maintenance.
Choosing Your New Air Conditioner System
If you’re deciding on a new system and have not kept up with advances in the industry, you will be amazed at the number of options that you have.
Here are some general rules of thumb when you are choosing an air conditioner:
- Choose a manufacturer that has a good reputation for quality and durability.
- Choose a model with a high energy efficiency rating
- Determine if your home needs a central air conditioner, heat pump, or if a mini-split or split systems are better for your space.
- Be sure that the system you have chosen has been properly sized for the unique needs of your home (e.g. for a 350 sq.ft room you’d need an 8,000 btu system and for 550 square feet, a 12,000 btu system).
Finally, choose a reliable company with excellent customer satisfaction and a track
Finding a Reliable Professional
It is incredibly important to find an HVAC company that will work to custom design a system for your home and budget. At Milani, our goal is to work as a partner with you and install a new AC system that is more appropriate and also help you keep the system operating at peak performance.
We offer free estimates to determine the system that best suits your home. The total cost of the air conditioning system depends on many factors which include different makes, models, customer needs, and installation variables within the home.
Speak to one of our representatives at Milani to schedule a free estimate with an HVAC expert.